Sunday, October 10, 2004

Freedom....

Long time since I posted to the Blog. I had a very busy week. To start with I had my tooth extracted. The molar tooth tht lives right at the back of your mouth. The dentist had a tough time removing it and I had a tough time bearing him. The pain lasted for quite some time.

I met a friend of mime from J&K yesterday and then we went to Pub - World and had a couple of drinks. We then went to Pizza Corner in Brigade Road and had a Pizza. Brigade Road looks beautiful from the Shop. The shop is in the second floor and the windows are huge.You get to sit next to the window and can watch the world walk by below you. Me and Amit had a lot of fun just doing that.

We couldnt go for a movie. Why? --- Well coz there is a seven week ban on Any other movie being released other than Kannada movies. The members of Kannada Raksha Veddna (The save Kannada language people) caused a mini riot in one of Bangalore's muliplexes and broke many a window panes. This is the attitude that makes me feel that we still dont have independance of doing whatever we want or exercising free speech in a so called Democratic country. Atleast as long as unemployed, jobless fanatics like these exist.

Now this seven week ban on movies other than kannada movies didnt for sure encourage me to watch a kannada movie. But what it did was despise kannada movies more than ever. Kannada movies are movies of the worst kind. The actors have practically no acting skills and try to live a larger than life lives. The movies are practically made for tax evasion. There are no story lines and the movies usually contain nothing but untold violence and immense sexism. And they even have the nerve of calling it culture.

If I was a theatre owner in Bangalore I would have turned a blind eye to the ban, which of coarse is not legal, and continued to screen movies. As long as there are those who fear will live those who will be feared.

No comments: